Sunday, January 3, 2010

preparing to change

**The moment one definitely commits oneself,
then Providence moves too.   ~GOETHE

I've got to
really
WANT
this. 
It's not enough to just make a decision. 
My brain has three parts I need to get on board with this if I'm going to be successful. 
The first part is pretty much with me. 
This is the instictive/involuntary part of my brain that controls things like breathing and heartbeat. 
It does what it needs to keep me alive.  :)
The thinking brain is where I made the decision to make the changes necessary to reach my goals.
So far so good.
It's the emotional brain I've got to keep in check.  It's in this limbic system that my brain decides whether something is good or bad, safe or dangerous, pleasant or painful.
So, from what I understand, it's this part of my brain I need to convince that
the
 changes I'm making
are
GOOD!
So, the idea is to
"Allow the power of your creative thinking (found on the right side of your neocortex)
 to percolate over the next few days. 
The more you can find what's fun and enjoyable about what you want,
the more your emotional brain will cooperate."
THIS YEAR I WILL...HOW TO FINALLY CHANGE A HABIT, KEEP A RESOLUTION, OR MAKE A DREAM COME TRUE...by M.J.Ryan,
OK.
Reasons this decision is FUN enjoyable GOOD:  Let's be reasonable! :
  1. Healthy food makes my body work & feel better.
  2. I'm happier when I stay within the limits I set for myself.
  3. I want to move with greater freedom.
  4. I want to will enjoy getting dressed in the morning!
  5. I will be able to buy clothes I like instead of just clothes that fit.
  6. I will be able to find something to wear for any occasion.
  7. I will enjoy getting dressed up and going out on those occasions!
  8. I will be a better example to my daughters, grandchildren, and students.
  9. I will be able to enjoy a day at the beach without feeling self-conscious.  (Now THAT would be FUN!)  and,
  10. It would be fun to imagine my after picture with an asterick that says, *Results not typical !
     I guess that's enough to "percolate on" for now!

 **May Providence move in me!

 

3 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm with you in this battle!
    All ten reasons, I agree!
    You have my support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by to see how things are going...

    ReplyDelete